Right of Way Maintenance
Kankakee Valley places the safety of you and your family above all else. Our Right of Way Maintenance program ensures that vegetation will not interfere with power lines.
PREVENTIVE TREE TRIMMING
The same trees that beautify your landscape and provide shade for your home can also be dangerous to your family and cause potential problems with your electric service. To protect you and your family as well as provide the most reliable electric service, KV REMC trims trees that may interfere with power lines.
Trimming keeps your family, your home and our workers safe. It also allows us to maintain reliable services and save money in power and restoration costs and line losses.
WHICH TREES GET TRIMMED?
- Trees and limbs within 10 feet of the power lines.
- Trees with limbs growing through or around power lines.
- Branches growing above lines where snow and ice can sag limbs into the lines.
- Weak and leaning trees that pose a threat to the power lines.
You can help keep utility service reliable and homes safe by following KV REMC’s planting guidelines.
- When planting near power lines, plant low growing shrubs or tall narrow trees at least 30 feet from the power lines.
- Measure 15 feet from the power line and then half the distance of the width of the trees spread when fully grown. This is as close as you should plant to the power line.
- Before planting a tree, consider the mature size of the tree. Trees that will mature over 15 feet in height should be planted well outside the right of way corridor to avoid future contacts with the power lines.
- Consider planting utility-friendly trees such as Crape Myrtle, Dogwood, Eastern Redbud, Japanese Maple, Purpleleaf Plum, Star Magnolia and Yaupon.
- Do not plant tall growers within 50 to 75 feet of power lines: Ash, Beech, Birch, Black Gum, Cedar, Chestnut, Chinaberry, Elm, Maple, Oak, Pecan, Pine, Poplar, and Southern Magnolia.
- Call before you dig.
If you have any questions regarding planting shrubs or trees, please feel free to contact our office.
VEGETATION CONTROL - (HERBICIDE)
In addition to tree trimming, Kankakee Valley REMC schedules annual small woody plant chemical vegetation control. The area of application will vary each year on a rotating basis. Watch our summer newsletters for more specific information detailing the area for each year.
This service is provided by The Daltons. The Daltons is fully licensed and certified by the Indiana State Chemist. During the spray operation, The Daltons avoid sensitive areas (such as front yards, tree plantations, ornamental planting, crops, gardens, lakes and streams) adjacent of the right-of-way.
Information on the 2023 spray operation will be available in early summer. Watch for more details in the Indiana Connection magazine.
If you would prefer to maintain the right-of-way adjacent to your land in some other fashion, such as mowing, please follow these instructions:
- Call the REMC, 800-552-2622 or The Daltons, (574)267-7511, with your questions concerning this right-of-way maintenance.
- When your area is identified in the REMC newsletter as the area to be maintained, post a sign on the right-of-way at each end of the your property that reads “NO SPRAYING.” Make sure it’s legible and visible from the roadway.
- Make sure all the brush is removed within that area by June 27, and continue to maintain it. If the brush is not removed, then we must treat the brush as part of our vegetation management program.
- We need and truly appreciate your cooperation each year to maintain a good right-of-way program.
Please contact us with any planting guideline questions.