Call Before You Dig
There’s a lot going on just below the surface of your yard!
Excavation or digging could be dangerous
There’s a lot going on just below the surface of your yard! With phone lines, utility lines, gas lines, telecommunication lines, sewer lines and septic systems, any excavation or digging could be dangerous. That’s why Indiana law requires you to call and have every line in your yard marked before beginning any digging project.
Dial 811 before beginning your next digging project.
- Have the county, township street address and cross street handy for property location purposes.
- Call the Indiana Underground Plant Protection Service (IUPPS) at 811 or 1-800-382-5544 at least 2 full working days but not more than 20 calendar days prior to the start of your excavation.
- IUPPS will notify all utilities that have underground facilities in the area of the excavation.
- Wait to begin the project until your yard has been flagged to show where lines are located.
- Dig responsibly! Respect the flags and don’t dig near the lines.
For more information about this free service, visit indiana811.org.
Indiana state law requires all utilities with underground facilities belong to the Indiana Underground Plant Protection Service. In accordance with that law, Kankakee Valley REMC is a member of IUPPS.